1. Switch up nap time . For the littlest ones in the family that take a morning and/or afternoon nap it’s a good idea to plan the nap time in favor of your session start time. If your family session is during sunset, attempt to prolong nap time 2-3 hours that day so that your children wakes up happy and refreshed ready for evening excitement.
2. Nobody is cranky with a full belly. Make sure everyone has eaten a meal or big snack 1 hour to 30 minutes before your photo session. Also be sure to pack a snack and plenty of water to keep content and hydrated. In the warm summer sun it’s important to stay hydrated.
3. Dress comfortably. Do you remember ever being forced into dress shoes that pinch too tight or itchy tights, a stiff buttoned shirt — it’s so uncomfortable! Your family should feel GREAT and that means in your clothing you should be comfortable. Fit well, and dress according to the weather. Tips on what to wear visit.
4. Create the hype! In the days leading up to your shoot, talk with your kiddos about how exciting it will be. Treat it as a special occasion for the family. Emphasize how much fun you’ll have together; making bubbles, playing in the park, or on the beach.
5. Take is easy and have fun. For Real! If your dog won’t sit still for a shot, or your kids are acting wild and crazy that’s absolutely fine. Don’t worry about the end result. Tickle, wrestle, and giggle with your family. Your photographs will turn out beautifully reflecting your energy and love and chaos together.
6. Raise a toast with Popsicles! Having a treat like ice cream, bubble gum or candy as an end of shoot reward is exciting and a sweet little go-to reminder throughout the shoot that excellent cooperative behavior will be rewarded.